Monday, June 15, 2015

Never Say Goodbye

My dear Goonies,

The past year with you has been one of the best years of my life, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you did to make it so.  Your class maintained such a genuinely warm and respectful attitude all the way to the end, and we are talking about a school year that never seemed like it would really end. 

Now that it has, I find myself missing our time together, laughing about the dynamics each English section had, and my heart skipping a little each time I see a friend or follow request on social media from you.  In fact, as I type this, I received a grammar question via text from one of you.  And that makes me happy.

Truly, I hate nothing more than the idea of saying goodbye.  On that last day, as Field Day closed, all your teachers were surprised that you hung around so long, tearfully saying goodbye to each other and us.  That's not usual.  Most of the time, seniors/graduates do the whole "peace out" thing.  As I watched all of you struggle a little to see your time at YES officially end, I felt encouraged that maybe you had gotten more out of your education than grades, acceptances, and scholarships.  That's the whole point.

The title of this post is after a cheesy 1980s song by Bon Jovi.  Y'all seem to be fans of the band, so it seems appropriate to borrow from them once more. 

I love y'all.

And I'll see you again.

No comments: