Friday, June 24, 2011

Important dates ahead, supplies needed, and such

Seniors!

I have some information you might want to know about.

On Tuesday, July 26, I will be available at school for a summer reading assignment tutorial. Whether you are completing the standard or AP assignments, I got you. Hopefully, you will have started long before that day and will know what questions you have. Hopefully, those questions will not be, "What are we supposed to do?" I'll be in my classroom from 2:00 - 4:00 that day if you need some guidance or if you just want to shoot your ideas off me or your classmates.

Next, if you are reading or plan to read the optional summer book, Stephen King's On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, then the book club meeting will be on Thursday, August 11. That's the third day of school, and if I'm not mistaken, it's the first full day (as in, until 4:30). We'll meet after school with some snackies to talk about how you liked (or didn't like!) this work. Yes, it's extra credit, but that's not why we do things.

And finally, there are a couple of supply needs you should know about. For vocabulary this year, you MUST have at least 200 index cards. (Just think of all the words you'll learn!) Also, a small box in which to keep them. Something like this:


The letter tabs aren't required, but they sure are nice, huh?

Last thing for now. The first book we will read as a class, in both AP and Standard, is Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. You can click here to see it on Amazon. Yeah, the cover is ugly, and it was written in 1965, but I don't care which edition you buy and it's about MURDER. Real ones. So those of you who nodded with understanding when I explained my obsession with Criminal Minds, you will like this. Others will, too, I promise. Anyhoo, you need a copy of this book in your hands by September 1st. If you want to order it through the school, that will be an option. But remember how I showed y'all to order used books online. That will be the cheapest option, but you'll have to take care of it by early August.

That's it for my announcements. I've loved hearing from those of you who had questions about your assignments. Hooray to you for working on them already. If you're not reading for class, I hope you're reading SOMETHING. And having a lovely time away from school. We all deserve breaks. And get all rested and ready for 12th grade, because I'll be working you hard once August 9th gets here!

- Rayburn

1 comment:

Misael said...

MS. Tuesday is actually June 28... so is that what you meant? oh and another thing, I won't be here for that date, but i do have some questions in the formatting for the essay. So if you could please get back to me that would be great :)