Wednesday, October 28, 2009

This one's for the runners

Dear Cross Country Team,
I don't know how you do it. It was such a privilege to be at the district meet today (and to be an official timer - ooh!), but I make the worst XC fan ever.

I did not anticipate what happened to me today, and it started as soon as the little ones were off the line. Each time one of you ran past me, laser-focused, grimacing in agony, pushing through it anyway...well, I cried. I couldn't help it. E-v-e-r-y time. I was filled with pride and awe and fear and overprotectiveness, but mostly awe. I learned something about you guys today, something I feel viscerally but can only barely form into words.

Your perseverance, tenacity, and fortitude (look 'em up) are something to behold. I am honored to see it.

LAR

No comments: